Monday, July 17, 2017

Summer Visits to Georgia Parks -- Learn about Our History

As a parent and Georgia teacher, I enjoyed introducing history to children through on-site visits to our wonderful state parks. I would like to encourage you to explore two of my favorites this summer--both of these parks have personal connections to my historical writing.
The oak-lined drive at Wormsloe Historic Site. (c) Georgia State Parks
WORMSLOE HISTORICAL PARK
Metropolitan Savannah was a mecca for field trips when I taught elementary school there early in my career. Unfortunately, I overlooked one of its crown jewel parks, named Wormsloe, and did not discover it until many years later. Following America’s Bicentennial celebration my desire to become a writer led me to learn about one of Georgia’s first settlers, Noble Wimberly Jones. Jones became the focus of a three-part historical novel which I am currently completing called Trailblazer. Wormsloe was the Jones family home and is now is an exciting place to learn about Georgia history, particularly our colonial beginnings.

Historic reenactments at Wormsloe Historic Site. (c) Georgia State Parks

In the first volume of Trailblazer, which is available now, I describe the origin of the name for the house and how the property grew from a simple guardhouse to the impressive estate it became later. Here is brief description of the property from the park’s website: “A breathtaking avenue sheltered by live oaks and Spanish moss leads to the tabby ruins of Wormsloe, the colonial estate of Noble Jones (1702-1775). You can interact with costumed interpreters, and view a museum with artifacts unearthed at Wormsloe. The interpretive nature trail leads past the tabby ruins along the marsh to the Colonial Life Area where, during programs and special events, demonstrators in period dress exhibit the tools and skills of colonial Georgia.”
Tabby Ruins at Wormsloe, (c) Georgia State Parks
 NEW ECHOTA HISTORIC SITE
Calhoun, Georgia also has a very special place in my heart since I now live in North Georgia and have been fascinated with Cherokee history for many years. I never tire of visiting New Echota, the capital of the Cherokee nation from 1825 until their forced removal in the 1830s. I wrote a children’s book called Where the Rabbits Dance about a young Cherokee girl whose family was swept up in the history of this conflict. New Echota is where my protagonist Lightfoot first hears the terrifying news about the plans to remove the Cherokees from Georgia.

New Echota features excellent documentaries, an informative museum of artifacts, and a numbered trail that helps the visitor reconstruct what New Echota looked like in 1825. They have erected the buildings owned by the Cherokees. If you thought the Cherokees lived in teepees, you’re in for a culture shock at their achievements.

Cherokee Council House at New Echota Historic Site. (c) Georgia State Parks.
Go see Wormsloe or New Echota this summer with your family. (Use the links to check out all the details online.)

No comments:

Post a Comment